Saturday 13 August 2011

Week 8 - nearly caught up!

Woohoo! Nearly there! Just as well, as I'll be in the office tomorrow (Sunday) morning to get the A-level results (they are released to universities a few days early), and we will then have a pretty hectic few days getting confirmation/rejection letters done ready to post out to applicants on Wednesday, so that they get them on the same day as the results are published.

Thing 14: Facebook.
I have a personal account which I'm now using more than I did to begin with. Initially I couldn't see the attraction, and in fact found the whole business rather tedious. However, a young person of my acquaintance informed me that this was because I didn't have enough friends (thanks!) and it's true that as my list of friends has gradually grown, the status updates have become more interesting.


There is also a group set up for applicants holding offers from Newnham. In fact, the equivalent group set up a few years back was the reason I joined FB in the first place - to keep an eye on what they were saying! I don't join the group myself, as I don't want to cramp their style, but I have asked the Schools Liaison Officer to join, as she is nearer to them in age, and can advise them to contact the Admissions Office if the current students are not able to answer their questions.


Thing 15: LinkedIn
As I'm now in the last few years of my professional career (just hit 60 this year!), I don't think I'll bother with this. The admissions officers in all the colleges have a very good and active email list, which we use to ask for advice, pass on tips, and generally keep in touch in between our termly meetings.



Phew! That's enough for now. Will leave tumblr and posterous for next week - if I have a minute in between fielding tearful phonecalls ...

No comments:

Post a Comment